Select a question below to learn more about buying, selling, and renting real estate in Furano, Japan. If there’s anything not covered here, please contact our helpful All About Furano Real Estate Team.

You should expect something like the ones below, but there would be some more things depending on how you would like us to manage your property.

Title Registration License Tax (once)
1.5% of land price / 2% of building price valued by local government office

Commission for solicitor (Title Transfer Registration)
100,000yen (excl. consumption tax)

Contract stamp duty (once)
15,000yen to 30,000yen per contractual document

Real estate commission fee (once)
3% + 60,000yen of the price of property (excl. consumption tax)

Postal and courier charges
Approximately 5,000yen

Trust account by solicitor usage
20,000yen (excl. consumption tax)
Bank charges / commissions are not included.

Real Property Acquisition Tax (once)
3 to 4% of property valued price decided by local government office

Inn-keeper’s license (once)
80,000yen – 100,000yen
If you are planning to take any short term holiday visitor guests.

Fixed asset tax (annual)
1.7% of property valued price decided by local government office

Fire insurance (annual)
around 20,000 to 50,000yen (depending on the contents of insurance)

Public liability insurance (annual)
15,000yen to 20,000yen

If only land, simply annual Fixed Asset Tax

If you need accountant, accountant fee must be paid.

If you would like to clear up the snow in winter, snow clearing costs.

If you would like to mow the lawn in summer, that costs.

We have the list of the expected costs of the house owners running the holiday rentals, available for the ones using our company’s property management services.

There are taxes like Personal Income Tax, Withholding Tax, and Capital Gains Tax, as well as depreciation for years depending on the type of the building.

We have English speaking accountant who we can introduce to you for your tax report, who you can ask the questions of taxes in Japan for your case.

It is the best to ask the real estate agent for each case of buying property.

All About Furano Real Estate can help you.

Basically you can buy lands and build houses in Japan, but you must care about the area category, if that is residential area, business area, factory area, farmer’s area, and more.

There are some ways for the foreigners to buy the cars in Japan, but it is sometimes a bit tricky, and depending on the nationality, slightly different sometimes. You can google “buy” “car” “Japan” “foreigner”.

Building height restriction depends on the area category, set back from the streets around the properties etc. and also if the building is higher than 10m, how the shadow of the building moves during the daytime on lands / buildings of the next door.

This would be shown by builders for each case.

The cost of making new buildings on the vacant land is from around 220,000yen to 350,000yen / sq m, depending on the level of the building facility level.

Buying the land which category is “agricultural land” or “agricultural field” in Japan would give you a bit hard time to understand what it is and how different the process of purchasing it.

The details of the process will be informed to you, but what you have to know first is you will need at least “bank account balance certificate”, and “the building plan with its cost estimation”.

Also, it takes 3 months to go through at least if everything is going well and you could talk to architect and construction company well to make the plan smoothly.

Still, with these further steps than the one to buy the other regular category of lands, and some more time than that, you can purchase it.

Unfortunately, currently no chance for the bank loan for the foreign investors is available. Buyers have to prepare their own funds.